How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court order to appear in court 11/10/15. I am not

Customer Question

I have a court order to appear in court 11/10/15. I am not able to travel due to eye surgery my vision is impaired. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

With a court date that close you may want to try to make arrangements for transportation (taxi, friend, family member, etc.).

If you had more time you could make a motion to the court to "continue" the hearing date. You can still call the court clerk's office tomorrow morning first thing and ask if it is possible to extend your hearing date, but with such short notice, I cannot promise that the court will grant it.

If you do not get an extension, and you do not find alternative transportation, you will likely have a "Failure to Appear" entered against you (if this is a criminal matter), or the court may enter an order or judgment against you (if it is a civil one).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in South Carolina and the Court is in Redwood City, California. Due to the eye surgery I cannot travel and I have had a very difficult time functioning due to my vision impairment.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You can contact the court, alternatively you can try contacting an attorney in (or near) Redwood City, CA to represent you at the hearing.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories (you would want to look for the San Mateo County, San Francisco County, and Alameda County bar associations), or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Again, these are the best options I can offer you here - unfortunately with a very tight time table I cannot promise that the court is going to grant an extension, some departments are more lenient than others - but I would definitely look very seriously into hiring a lawyer tomorrow if I was in your position).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a civil matter . My ex husband is suing me for taxes he had to pay as a result of a tax audit for 2012.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You will want a civil attorney to represent you at the hearing. If you (or your attorney) are not at the hearing, there is a good chance that the court will enter an order against you (simply because you didn't show up).

You can ask the court if you can appear via "CourtCall" (again, contact the Court Clerk's office), but you are still much too close to the court hearing date to rely on them granting this to you at this time (CourtCall requests need to be made well in advance). So you can both call the court, and try to hire an attorney.

(I don't know how big the bill is that your ex husband is trying to stick you with, but it is likely far more than what an attorney will charge you for a single appearance).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The additional Taxes were $7,302.79. In addition he wants attorney expenses for a total of $13,692.79.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

So, you are looking at a claim of $20,000.00 and comparing that to whatever fee an attorney will charge you for a single appearance. (That is pretty much the measurement here).

Whether or not you want to hire an attorney to deal with this frivolous claim so that you don't have to any longer is a decision you would have to make, but as far as your hearing on Tuesday, I would make awfully sure that I had some way of getting my appearance in (CourtCall or by attorney), don't just miss it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am exhausted, can I call you tomorrow?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, I do not participate in the phone call program for the site, however, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions. (If you have questions about these additional services, you can contact our customer service at:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.