How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33763
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our water was disconnected yesterday because we were unable

Customer Question

Our water was disconnected yesterday because we were unable to pay the bill by the deadline. We called to pay the past due bill this morning and they told us that in order to get our water back on, we would have to pay the past due bill PLUS the bill that isn't due for another 10 days, plus a reconnect fee. The reconnect fee I can understand, but can they legally force us to pay a bill that isn't due to reconnect our services? We live in Texas.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, there is no law that prevents them from requiring this although it is a ridiculous policy. You can file a complaint against them with the Texas Public Utilities Commission, the information for doing that is at

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

The other thing is that this is allowed assuming it is a part of their rules. If it is not and is something they just apply sometimes then it would definitely be a good ground for a complaint to the PUC. Unfortunately, those complaints take a while to resolve so it doesn't offer any short term help for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our water company switched hands a while back and this is "their new policy". They have never done this before so we were blindsided by it and don't have the money for the new bill on top of the old one. We have children and this has just turned into a nightmare. We were never notified of policy changes.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Under those circumstances you may try contacting the PUC by telephone and see if they can help but I've never seen them do anything. You can also contact a local attorney and see if they can help. The problem is that most of your solutions take a while.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.