Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I having a problem with Ponzi scheme in Hawaii. The lawyer's

Customer Question
My name is***** having a...
My name is***** having a problem with Ponzi scheme in Hawaii. The lawyer's office took my $1 million and never return to me since 5 years ago. I have a lawyer but he want to wait till they find replacement investor. I filed complaint to court 8/25/2015.
I am not a doubt my lawyer but I really tired to be in this situation. I am wondering if you have any solution.
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/5/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What was the lawyer's office supposed to give you in exchange for your $1 million? What, if anything, did they give you? And why is your lawyer seeking another investor before he'll sue?

I created my own company through this lawyer's office in August of 2009. My company's title is banking. I got business with the LA mortgage company which is called GHI to do warehouse lending. They were supposed to pay me $25,000 a month. They only paid $25,000 once. Then I switched my mortgage company to Got Mortgage do business. Got mortgage was is supposed to pay $7,000 a month. They would make up all kinds of reasons to delay the payments. Then I told them to cancel this business deal. Since then, they paid me some of the interest but they never returned my $1 million. I hired my lawyer in June 2015. My lawyer thinks that if the company can find another investor, that will be the fastest way to get my money back. I have money problems right now. I can't afford court fees. The company's lawyer is a really bad guy so he is making it hard for me to get my money back. My lawyer said that it will take many years to get my money back. Thank you for your time.

Thank you.

I'm afraid this isn't the type of transaction I have experience dealing with, so I'm going to opt out and see if another expert can assist you. There is no need to reply, as that can cause delays.

Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is difficult to understand what happened here. When you say "company's lawyer is really a bad guy" who are you referring to? You own company / the bank's lawyer?

Also can you give an explanation of how the million dollars was used in a ponzi scheme?

The company's lawyer I am referring to is Dubin's Law Office's lawyer. I made my own company called J&L Associates with my mom with Dubin's help. Dubin's assistant is the one that is helping run my company. The assistant told me that the million dollars was given to Got Mortgage. The assistant said they have a reason to not be able to give back my million dollars because they are using that money to run their business.

It appears to me that you need to hire a legal malfeasance lawyer and also to report this lawyer to the Hawaii Bar Association for possible ethical violations. The longer you wait, the less likely you will be able to recover your money and you may miss the statute of limitations deadline. That said, these types of suits are no picnic and next to impossible to win with a qualified lawyer with years of experience in that field.

See here to file the complaint with the bar.

See here to locate another lawyer.

Your lawyer may also want to seek injunctive relief if some or all the money has been fraudulently transferred to a third party. See this law.

The lawyer you're talking about reporting this incident is Dubin's office's lawyer or my lawyer?

Dubin's office lawyer because he had a duty to not misuse J&L's money for his own benefit. Your lawyer, I am not sure if he does this type of legal malpractice work.

do you think I should ask my lawyer if I should file a complaint to the ODC?
if I file a complaint to the ODC, do you think I can get back J&L's money?

Yes, ask you lawyer about that. He may be able to signal to Dublin on your behlaf that you will file a complaint unless Dublin gives the money back immediately. Whether you will get your money back is hard to say; but if you don't try you are sure to lose it....

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney