How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34754
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a weird problem. I have a doctor that I have been

Customer Question

I have a weird problem. I have a doctor that I have been seeing for high blood pressure and chronic pain due to headeaches as a result of TMJ. I am prescribed a class C medication ( oxycodone) for several years. I am not an abuser of the substance, nor do I sell or give out the medication. My mother is a vindictive crazy person who has recently had a lot of problems ( my brother and father were diagnosed with cancer in the same month). She is mysoginist, and when there are problems with males in the family I bear the brunt of it. Long story short, she wrote a letter to my physician stating that I am an alcoholic drug abuser and that I can't hold a job because of it. I quit a job last year that I had for 10 years. It was depressing and I wanted a change. My parents do not suppport me. I have a 12 year old daughter and my concern is for the physician and the possibility of her trying to gain custody of my daughter. These accusations are unfounded, I have never had any problems with arrests or drug abuse. Can I do anything about these accusations?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am truly sorry for this dilemma.

What you are describing is "defamation"

Defamation is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim. If mom is lying about you, and the lies are harming your reputation? That is defamation. You can sue her to recover for the harm you have suffered.

You can also consider having a local attorney send her a "cease and desist" letter, where you put her on notice that if she continues to defame you, that you will sue her. This is a lesser step to actually filing a lawsuit...and much less expensive. Many attorneys will pen a cease and desist letter for you for a nominal cost.

Bot***** *****ne: what you are describing is considered can sue her to recover for the harm you have suffered.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.