Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My fiancé recently completed paying s penalty weeks of

Customer Question

My fiancé recently completed paying his penalty weeks of unemployment (due to fraud) at least that what they stated it was... but now they still will not give him his benefits.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If his benefits were reinstated and he is not receiving them, he needs to send a written request for reinstatement of benefits to them and wait for them to decide. However, under IL law, if there was an over payment they claim was a result of fraud, not only does he have to repay the amount, but once it is repaid there is a penalty of the number of weeks he was accused of fraud. So, for example, if he was accused of 4 weeks of fraud and he repaid that 4 weeks, he then has a 4 week penalty when he cannot receive benefits. If all of that has been satisfied, then he needs to send the written request for benefits to them and if they deny him at that point, he has to file a written appeal and get an unemployment hearing.