How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41549
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother in law has lived in my home past 12years. My

Customer Question

My Mother in law has lived in my home for the past 12years. My husband died 4 years go. My sister in law moved back to town and I want her to take her mother to live with her. Do I have any legal responsibility to take care of her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You do not have any legal responsibility to take car of her.You can leave her with the sister in law, her daughter.Her daughter can assume the care for the mother in law.

Legally you are not a blood relative and have no legal duty to care for her.As long as you leave her with the daughter you are out of the picture and you need do nothing more. I can understand why you want to turn this over to a blood relative and legally that is fine , you need do nothing more.

There is no neglect since you left mother in law with relative here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.