Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My Mother in law has lived in my home past 12years. My

Customer Question

My Mother in law has lived in my home for the past 12years. My husband died 4 years go. My sister in law moved back to town and I want her to take her mother to live with her. Do I have any legal responsibility to take care of her?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You do not have any legal responsibility to take car of her.You can leave her with the sister in law, her daughter.Her daughter can assume the care for the mother in law.

Legally you are not a blood relative and have no legal duty to care for her.As long as you leave her with the daughter you are out of the picture and you need do nothing more. I can understand why you want to turn this over to a blood relative and legally that is fine , you need do nothing more.

There is no neglect since you left mother in law with relative here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.