How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own my a home based service business (dog grooming). I was

Customer Question

I own my a home based service business (dog grooming). I was leasing the space to an individual who left without notice, including the lease agreement, and also left with the client list they gleaned over the last 2 years. they left a note on YELP that my business had moved to a different location. What are my options for recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Interesting question. You have several civil causes of action that you can and should bring against this person. First, you can sue them from breach of contract relative to walking out on the lease. You are entitled to the remainder of what was owed on the lease and arguably reasonable damages on top of that as well.

You also have a cause of action for what is called tortuous interference with business. Their actions in developing a client base under the business good will of your business and then in turn leaving - coupled with their post on YELP, is a prime cause of action for tortuous interference with business. You will need to show their actions either have or are likely to cause your business harm, that they planned this out and that you have or will be damaged.

You also have a viable cause of action to sue them on relative to civil fraud based on the post on YELP that your business has moved. You will need to show that they knowingly made a statement that they either knew or should have known to be false and that it was intended to defraud potential customers and consumers, and you will need to show a likelihood of damages.

You stand to gain not only reasonable damages on all fronts, but you should also be able to get attorney fees and even punitive damages under the circumstances. I would recommend hiring a local attorney to represent you. You can go at it alone, but an attorney will be your best option that is local to your court system in the county in which you live.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in with you to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Have you had a chance to implement the advice provided? Just checking in. I like to hear success stories...