Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My friend wants to give me a power of attorney over all of s

Customer Question

my friend wants to give me a power of attorney over all of his affairs in case he gets ill or passes away. He has relatives who have passed away, he also owns music copyrights, and has many things in the works so far as possible book deals, creating a wine, etc. what type of power of attorney will allow me to continue to work on his projects (i.e., appear on behalf of him for his families probate issues, enter into merchandising contracts, music publishing agreements etc) should he pass away? We are in california. Also someone mentioned to me something about if he becomes insolvent or cant pay bills? or me? the power of attorney terminiates. Is this true?
He also wants me to create a healthcare agreement so i may take care of those needs as well.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

what type of power of attorney will allow me to continue to work on his projects (i.e., appear on behalf of him for his families probate issues, enter into merchandising contracts, music publishing agreements etc) should he pass away?

.

If he wants to give you power to handle any of his financial or business affairs, then a General Durable Power of Attorney would serve that purpose. It would give you the power to do anything that he could do on his own with regard to business or finances.

.

If he wanted you to take care of any medical decisions, then that would be a separate Durable Medical POA that would need to be granted.

.

And you are never personally liable for his debts or bills if you are just his agent with a POA.

.

And no, the POA continues on until he revokes it or he dies. It has nothing to do with him being insolvent or not.

.

I would suggest a website that I use myself for state specific reasonably priced legal forms called USLegalforms.com as they will have CA specific Medical and General POAs that you can view and then download for a small fee.

.

.

thanks