How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116772
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe it would be th most efficient to just state the

Customer Question

i believe it would be th most efficient for me to just state the facts, and then you could tell me what I should do. first off, i have Parkinsons disease bad enough that i have to live in a retirement home, or so I believe based on what my brother, who lives on Maui told me. i was living (also on Maui) with Elizabeth, renting a room from her. i took a couple of falls that looked a lot worse than they were, but it was plain to see I was going to have to find more suitable housing. Another permanent fact was that 10 years ago we purchased a beautiful property in Costa Rica, thinking it would double in price very quickly, but then recession after recession hit, and it lost 3/4 of its value. my wife and I were well positioned to weather this because we paid cash, but Lance, my brother took out a sizable second mortgage on his house. My wife and i divorced, and Lance invited me to Hawaii, soI moved. Back to the recent past, whenever I fell and hurt myself at Elizabeths, the paramedics tried to talk me into going to the hospital, but i refused, except for the last time, because i had the flue, and i wanted Tamiflu. they gave me some, and i came to 3 weeks later, peeing into a bag, and unable to walk. At this point i had given lance medical power of attorney. The kept me in that hospital for 3 1/2 months for no reason i could understand. during this time I GAVE LANCE FULL Power of attorney ( he was bullying me not getting me a cell phone that worked. when maui hospital finally released me to Ca*****, ***** sAID HE WOULD SELL MY CAR FOR ME,which he did, but kept every dime for himself. what should i do? Im sure i should revoke the powers of attorney,.but what else can i do to protect my interest in Costa Rica. plus i want to be done with him, completely severed...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he has kept your money that you are entitled to, then not only should you be seeking to terminate your PoA, but you should file a complaint with Adult Protective Services,

for financial abuse of the elderly/disabled. They will come in and investigate his conduct and seek to not only recover any money he took from you, but can pursue criminal charges against him as well.

Alternatively, you still should revoke the PoA, but if you do not want to pursue criminal charges, then you need to send a letter to him and copy anyone he is dealing with for you on your behalf and tell them you are immediately revoking his PoA and they are to cease and desist dealing with him on your behalf. You also need to demand he return all the money to you that he has taken and if he refuses to do so, then you have to sue him for damages and recovery of the property in civil court.

These are your options based on the facts above.