Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I came close to tting a pedestrian while driving and making

Customer Question

I came close to hitting a pedestrian while driving and making a left turn into a Starbucks. It was dark and rainy and I never saw the person until she was in front of my car. I do not believe I actually hit her as she continued walking on. I parked my car, gathered myself, got out of the car (1-3 minute time lapse) and tried to check on the person but couldn't locate her. I also went back out of the starbucks to try and locate her 5-7 minutes later but couldnt. I tried once again after my coffee date roughly 45-60 minutes later. Once again I could not locate her. I'm worried I've done something wrong. Should i have called the police?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

If you didn't hit them then there is no reason to call the police but if you did or weren't sure then it would have been better to have called them if for no other reason than to avoid the worry you are undergoing now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Makes sense. Should I call them now or just move on? I'm fairly confident I didnt hit the person, just came close. Would I be in danger of a hit and run charge?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you didn't hit them then you shouldn't receive a hit and run. As to whether to call the police that's a judgment call on your part. What you may want to do is go to a local lawyer and hire them and let them make the call just to check and make sure there hasn't been any reports of anyone being hit. The lawyer can't be forced to reveal your name and if something did happen then you will need them anyway. They won't charge much, if anything, for the call and it's the smartest, safest approach.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have additional questions?