Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Dear lawyer, I am running Packing/Unpacking Services firm.

Customer Question

Hello dear lawyer, I am running Packing/Unpacking Services firm. We are barely floating on the surface and I am frustrated due to the poor organization. I was foolish and never asked for a professional advice prior making decisions.
General purpose of the business is packing for movers, flood, fire, emergency, foreclosure, renovation and other kinds of packing such as packing for domestic and international shipping etc. Also we plan to provide general labor assistance such as loading and unloading help, delivery, donation and recycling help etc. We won't be a moving company, we won't be moving household goods. (but we would like to be able to book moving jobs and sell them to licensed moving companies).
Our potential customers are : homeowners, apartment renters and businesses that are moving in or out, real estate agents and government.
Now my company is registered as LLC (as of April 10, 2015, I am a sole member) I was told that I'd be better off having S-corp for tax purposes.
Mistakes I think I made: Registered business as LLC (I still haven't paid $800 fee), hired people on payroll without being able to provide them with work hours, I am using quickbooks services (paying $100 on monthly basis for full service payroll even though I terminated all of the employees and haven't ran payroll in at least 4 months)
Should I close my business and reopen it? Could you please give me an advice on what permits and licences I need to obtain.
Also I'd appreciate if you could educate me on how to avoid having to run payroll and use basic quickbooks service and stop paying $100. Will I be able to hire people so that they pay their own taxes like Lyft and Uber do?
Thank you!!! Hope there is a hope.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Please be aware that we here cannot act as your attorneys. While we can help answer some of your questions, we cannot provide you with 'legal advice' because we do not represent you. While I can help answer some of your concerns, I am limited in that capacity. If that is not sufficient I would urge you to retain local counsel. But if my limitations are acceptable, I will try to answer those questions that I can for you. Please advise.