How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter used my car and at least 7 violations have

Customer Question

My granddaughter used my car and at least 7 violations have been incurred my son said he would pay them. My son gave me his car to use for 4 months. he has since fallen on. Hard times. HOW can I pay this or take responsibility for this. I m 76 and live on 1,100 a month. I live w/ my daughter in Mesa, Az. I didn't want to turn him in. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately you are in a very tough situation. You have to turn your son/granddaughter in to make them liable to pay the fines or as owner of the car you are liable. The only way out of this is to file suit against your son and granddaughter, which I am sure is not something you want to do, to get the court to order them to pay. If they do not pay, I am afraid that you as the owner of the car are liable and the state of CA will suspend your license for non payment and will also suspend the vehicle registrations in your name. So I am sorry to say that you are stuck with this and you would need to contact CA and arrange for a payment plan at the least.