How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42873
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Social Security says they overpaid me by $11000 because I

Customer Question

Social Security says they overpaid me by $11000 because I had bonds on my son's name and mine claiming the value of the bonds counted as an asset. The bonds were purchased by my relatives for my son's education. He has since cashed the bonds. I never considered them an asset. Do I have the basis for appeal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You may certainly appeal and then if that is unsuccessful claim hardship as well.You always have the right here to appeal and also claim hardship which I am sure it is.

Appeal rights here.

You would want to be able to show where they were cashed and used to pay his tuition.You have burden at hearing to show this to prove that you did not benefit here.

Fallback request for hardship waiver...

I wish you the best here with your appeal and waiver only if you have too.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Self help to walk you through these options above..