How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41043
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question: I have a 75 year old mother who, through a church

Customer Question

Question: I have a 75 year old mother who, through a church ministry program, has been in contact with a death row inmate for approx. 10 years. My family and I have been trying to cut off contact with this individual when we realized that the relationship was not what it was portrayed to be. I have recently gained access to her finances and have been able to account for approx. $3,000 that she has spent on him this year and I know there has been more spent. She was recently diagnosed with dementia and her PCP has state that she is incompetent. I have done everything I know to do to eliminate the contact they have with each other. The prison called this morning and stated the inmate is attempting to take legal action in order to re-establish contact with my mother. I have POA - what can I do to prevent this from occurring?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

I would report this to your local law enforcement and also Adult Protective Services.This is exploitation of an elderly person.They may be able to prosecute him and also seek a protective order.It makes a record.Also you can write the judge here or wherever he filed to restore communication.It never hurts to get APS involved.I think long term she needs a guardian and they can help you be appointed and authorized to act by the judge.

Report it here.

  • Call us toll-free: 1-866-55AGING (1-***-***-****) - Press “3”

Reports are accepted by phone Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Every day, older adults and adults with disabilities are suffering from abuse, neglect, and exploitation; often by people they trust the most. Abusers may be spouses, family members, personal acquaintances, professionals in positions of trust or opportunistic strangers who prey on the vulnerable.


  • Physical abuse;
  • Mental, emotional, or verbal abuse;
  • Sexual abuse;
  • Neglect;
  • Self Neglect; and
  • Financial Exploitation.

The Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS), Division of Aging Services, Adult Protective Services (APS) investigates all reports of abuse, neglect, and/or exploitation of older persons (65+) or a adult (18+) with a disability who do not reside in long-term care facilities pursuant to the Disabled Adults and Elder Persons Protection Act, O.C.G.A. §§ 30-5-1, et seq.

For persons living in the community, Georgia law requires mandatory reporting of suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation by certain professionals who are mandated reporters*. Failure for a mandated reporter to report abuse, neglect and/or exploitation of a disabled adult or elder person is punishable by a criminal misdemeanor.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Related Legal Questions