Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was out of school first quarter due to a medical

Customer Question

I was out of school for the first quarter due to a medical emergency. I go to a private school and they told me I could come back next quarter if I completed all work by a certain date. I turned in my work after that date. They sent me an email saying I would be dis enrolled and could reapply next year, although originally they told me I could come back next semester. Is this legal?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was your medical emergency caused by you having some permanent disability?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A suicide attempt, I suffer from severe depression and anxiety.

Thank you for your reply.

Okay, so what you need to do is send a letter to the school's accommodation office/ADA office and to the dean. In the letter you need to inform them that you are protected from discrimination under the ADA and you have a qualified disability as defined under the ADA and you sought accommodation of the temporary absence from school for your disability and their refusal to allow you to return violates the ADA. If they refuse, your next step is you would need a local attorney to file suit against them for discrimination under the ADA as this is denial of your request for accommodation.