How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31685
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with False Pretense charge in April of this

Customer Question

I was charged with False Pretense charge in April of this year. suspended from my job for 6 months without pay embarrassed shamed humiliated. I also worked at school where my children attend so they have had mental anquish also. Can I sue for this. case was dismissed sept.28 lack of evidence. this disrupted my and family life for 6 months. the charge carried 10 years. very stressful
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Mississippi. I'll be glad to assist.

It is POSSIBLE that you may have grounds to sue for false arrest, malicious prosecution and negligent/intentional infliction of emotional distress.

This issue totally turns on whether or not there is probable cause......which is whether the officer had a REASONABLE basis for believing that a crime may have been committed in order to charge someone.

Thus, if the state/county/city can prove that there was a reasonable basis for the arrest and charge, then it would defeat your claims. But if it cannot prove this, you should consult a personal injury lawyer about pursuing a claim.