How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41564
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a senior citizen living in a senior living apartment at

Customer Question

I am a senior citizen living in a senior living apartment at near hobby airport. My rent is 7.04 . But due to sickness arthritis pain I am unable to work full time to pay my rent in time and other utitlites. I heard there is a government Programe called section 8 for low income seniors the pay 60 percent of rent. I need that but problem is this this will many years to approve application . If there is a any other Programe to help me towards my rent. Please let me know and how can I apply and how lone it takes to approve. I nave medical prove from doctor that I am unable to work full time I also applied for disablilty two years before but they declined that they said that I am still able to stand and walk therefore it is declined. Thankyou. Pervaiz A. Qureshi .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

There are a number of programs here in Houston.You will have to call each one and see what they can offer here.

I would also apply for Section 8 even though there may be a wait here put your name on the list here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

For Emergency Assistance With Electric Bills, Call:

The Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) is administered by Sheltering Arms Senior Services and is a federally funded program assisting low income families with young children, seniors (60+) and the disabled with the payment of gas and electricity bills. Recipients of these funds must qualify by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' minimum income standards.

For more information, call(###) ###-####/strong>

This will help you with electric.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

A really good one for you.

If you are a low or moderate income individual or family living in the Houston Texas or Harris County area, the Gulf Coast Community Services Association (GCCSA) is an organization that can provide you with short term help on bills and expenses, and at the same time ensure you have access to longer term support. They are a private, nonprofit organization that is Texas' largest Community Action Agency. Some of the programs offered by GCCSA include Rental/Mortgage Assistance, Prescription Voucher Program, Head Start and Early Head Start services, Transportation Assistance, including Housing Counseling, Furniture Voucher Program, Food Pantry, Clothes Closet, Employment Skills Program and Individual Development Account Program, After School Program, Back to School Program a Community Learning Center Services, and Senior Services. They have 35 locations throughout the county and Houston area.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Gulf Coast Community Services Association

Non-Profit Organization

Address:***** Houston, TX 77054

Phone(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Another one for you..

Harris County community action agency. The main office is at University Business Park, 5000 Gulf Freeway, Building One, Houston, Texas 77023. The phone number is(###) ###-####/p>

Thanks again and the best to you here.Please don't be discouraged there is lots of help here in Houston.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

A bunch more.

Thanks again.If you can leave a positive rating it is always sincerely appreciated.