Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have Led lights on my boat trailer blue and, been stopped

Customer Question
I have Led lights on...
I have Led lights on my boat trailer blue and green, been stopped twice now but haven’t received a ticket. On both occasion neither officer would tell me the regulation so that i could read for myself. My boat is not registered in Louisiana due to the fact my spouse is still on active duty. I have a Louisiana license. What is the law for louisiana?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
10/25/2015
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Here is the law for reference.

2011 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 32 — Motor vehicles and traffic regulation
RS 32:304 — Tail lamps

Universal Citation: LA Rev Stat § 32:304

§304. Tail lamps

A. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in R.S. 32:301, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. Every vehicle or trailer listed in this Subsection, other than a motorcycle or motor driven cycle registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after December 31, 1962, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which, when lighted as herein required, shall comply with the provisions of this Section.

B. Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches measured as provided in R.S. 32:302.

C. Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1974, No. 140, §1; Acts 2005, No. 129, §1, eff. June 22, 2005.

It is likely the blue and green.The lawyer calls for red brake lights and one white light over the license plate.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Summary..

Louisiana Trailer Lighting Laws

Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in width must be equipped with 2 front clearance lamps on each side, 2 rear clearance lamps on each side, and 2 side marker lamps and 2 reflectors, 1 of each on the front and on the rear.

Trailers and semitrailers 30 feet or more in length must have 1 amber side marker lamp and 1 amber reflector, centrally located on each side.

Every trailer and semitrailer must be equipped with at least 1 red light mounted on the rear that emits a light for at least 1,000 feet.

Ray, Lawyer