How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27056
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sir, I wish to acquire a hand gun and home protection in the

Customer Question

Sir, I wish to acquire a hand gun for personal and home protection in the city of Baton Rouge La. Pead guilty to simple possession of a controlled substance in Texas in 1969, convicted of a felony the same year at the age of 18. No further arrest but Texas will not expunge the conviction. I am now 64 and would like your learned opinion in this matter before I submit an application to purchase under ATF form 4473
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, to restore your Federal rights, you need to restore your state rights in the state that took your rights away from you. You're unfortunately correct that Texas will not expunge a conviction unless it's first been pardoned by the governor. So you're going to need the governor's pardon in order to get your rights back.

Pardons are not easy to get, but if you do, the Federal and state government will lift their bar and that should also be sufficient for Louisiana to let you get a gun.

Any former offender can apply for a pardon without the need of a lawyer. This is a link to an instructional booklet so that you can see what it entails. Once you are pardoned you can apply for an expungement, though you wouldn't need it to get your gun rights back in full.

Good luck!

Related Legal Questions