How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16628
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently contacted my water department regarding my bill

Customer Question

I recently contacted my water department regarding my bill because it seemed to be a lot lower than previous bills for about the last 10 months. They indicated that there seemed to be a problem with the equipment and they would come out to check it. At the time I reported it I expressed concerns about news reports of home owners receiving extremely large bills as a result of repaired equipment problems even though the problem did not result from the home owners. They indicated that I would not be held responsible for any financial responsibility if the problem was a result of their equipment. I receive a bill this month for $1,000.00 dollars in back charges. Can they legally do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, if the water company has determined that the actual water usage by the home owner amounted to $1000, then the utility company can legally collect such amount for the water used, even if the customer was undercharged previously, due to the utility company malfunctioning equipment or a billing error.

If the homeowner has an issue with the water company's billing practiced / errors, then a formal complaint can be filed against the Water Company with Florida Public Service Commission at the link below:

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.