How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find a lawyer that can write a letter stating

Customer Question

Hi, I am trying to find a lawyer that can write a letter stating my spouse and I separated. I have a rental lease showing the date I moved out. This letter is needed for University of South Florida so my daughter can obtain her financial aid. She has gone without the aid now for two months. University is requiring a letter that states we separated so they can ammend the househould family circumstances. Any suggestions on a lawyer that can write such a letter. Doesn't have to be in state
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
Are they requiring it be from a local attorney on letterhead?

Or is is possible you and your spouse can write an Affidavit and have it Notarized?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

An Affidavit is generally all that is required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't require to be in state. Needs to be from an attorney on letterhead is all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are holding up all of her aid based on this verification
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We separated in Oct 2014. I have my rental lease to show this. We just haven't filed for the divorce yet, so the basic requirement is a short summarized letter on legal letterhead
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If you have verified that a Notarized Affidavit is not sufficient, then I suggest that you contact the Florida Bar Association for a legal referral service

Phone(###) ###-####br />Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

You will need to get a legal referral to an attorney in your area to write such a letter. I suggest, it may cost you about $250 to have it done - if you can find an attorney to verify your situation for you. I suggest you be prepared with any type of marital separation agreement you might have to present to the local attorney.

Professionals on this site cannot write those type of letters for customers of this site as it could be construed as representation and we are precluded from such representation for customers of this site. We can only provide information.

If you find that the school will accept a Notarized Affidavit, I can provide you with sample language you can type and then have it signed in front of the Notary.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you