Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

ATTORNEY. As a result of an auto accident, the other party's

Customer Question

I AM AN ATTORNEY. As a result of an auto accident, the other party's attorney brought a personal injury claim against my client. Medical reports and bills were submitted to my client's insurance company by the other party's attorney. I asked my client's insurance company to send me copies of those reports and bills and they refused citing the Privacy Act of 1974. Are they correct? HARRY GAUNT, Calif Bar # *****
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, Harry. It is always a pleasure helping a fellow member of the Bar.

I do not believe them to be correct. The Privacy Act is about controlling and defining dissemination and release of personal information from Federal agencies. Furthermore, as the reports and bills are directly related to the cause of action against your client, those documents are necessary for disclosure as proof of injury or claim which your client and you have a right to challenge. Their denial, therefore, is unreasonable if you are seeking medical reports pertaining specifically to this auto accident. You can therefore contact the judge and request a subpoena to compel the insurance company to release the records.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

I appreciated assisting you. Kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can be compensated for the work that I have done on your behalf. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.