How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20357
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in a traffic accident. I supposedly t an

Customer Question

I was involved in a traffic accident. I supposedly hit an elderly lady while backing up. She was out of my view and not in the crosswalk. She admitted to me she was looking the other way for oncoming cars and did not see me backing up. Her ankle started to bleed and a passerby called the police and an ambulance. She was taken away and I only have info from her I.D. she provided to officer. I was issued a citation for pedestrian in roadway due caution. My car insurance company has sent a letter to the address but no response and there in no phone contact. I already appeared in court on Sept. 17th but it was stated to me by judge that it will be continued to Oct. 26th due to personal injury. I want to know if I need legal representation at this time. I am worried about being sued and have very little income.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. You might consider hiring an attorney for the ticket. I say that because they may be able to successfully challenge the ticket and get it dismissed or a not guilty finding based on the facts, once they can gather all of them. That could help you some with any civil suit that might be filed.

All that said, you have insurance for a reason. Even if you are sued, your insurance company steps in for you to defend the suit and attempt to settle it. Assuming you have more than the bare minimum liability coverage, your policy limits are usually enough to satisfy any injury suit. In other words, the other party would usually just settle for policy limits (or less if you have really good coverage and their injuries were minimal), especially if you have no real assets for them to pursue if your limits were low. So, although it never feels good being sued, your insurance company is responsible for defending and settling the suit within your policy limits, so you do not need an attorney for the civil side. But again, it wouldn't hurt to go to an attorney who handles traffic tickets and see if they think they can get this dismissed.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box below, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.