Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I own a home in Chicago. It is a converted factory on a

Customer Question
double lot so it doesn't...
I own a home in Chicago. It is a converted factory on a double lot so it doesn't have the look of a standard home, but I live here full time. I started renting the home for special events 2-3x a month and some commercial shoots. I also started a website to get more exposure to location scouts etc. recently someone from the city stopped by and issued me an ordinance violation for operating an event venue without a business license. He didn't seem to understand that I live here full time. Now as I look into the matter there doesn't seem to be any license that applies to this situation and I just want to know if there are any clearly defined laws that say I can or can't rent my home on a day to day basis with no overnight guests.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
10/20/2015
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is a bad news/good news situation. Yes, Chicago does require a license for you to operate a business from your home. It requires a license for every business activity that occurs in the city.

The good news is that the license applicable to your activity is relatively inexpensive. It is $250.00 every two years.

See this link:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/bacp/businesslicenseforms/businesslicenseforms/homeoccupationfactsheetV111011.pdf

Here is the Statute that requires the license.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/bacp/ordinances/GeneralLicensingProvisions.pdf

I am sorry that this may not be what you want to hear, but I do not want you to proceed with inaccurate information that could cause you more difficulties.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Thanks Gerald,While this license seems like a close fit, I don't think it applies to my situation because during rental periods there are often far more people on the premises than that particular license permits.The specific situation may be a family's private bday party on a Saturday with 50 guests. Nothing is sold on premises and the event is entirely private. They just basically rent a larger house than their own purposes on a single day basis. Is there anything that applies more specifically to this?

Hello:

The code that I referenced you is the code the city uses for any business conducted from a home.

Did the citation you received reference a code provision different than the one I referenced?

If so I woulld be happy to research that for you. Otherwise, I am not aware ofany other code.

Alternatively, I will be happy to opt out so that your question can repost so another expert may respond at no additional charge to you. If you would like me to repost your question please let me know. I want to make sure you have every opportunity to get a response that is useful to you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

No. That is ok thanks. I have a few lawyers bouncing this around. I have just been looking to get as much input as possible. At the moment nothing seems to be cut and dry.

My bet is that the city official is relying on the sections that I referenced. I don't think they are too sophisticated in their enforcement.

I'm sorry I can not be more help to you.

If you feel that my assistance was not of help to you there is no need to rate me. While I do not get credit for no rating, I ask only that you do not provide a negative rating, which effects my standing.

If on the otherhand you feel that my services provided some value to you, a positive rating is always appresciated.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer