P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

The father of my niece and nephew violated probation by

Customer Question

The father of my niece and nephew violated probation by leaving NY state and not notifying his officer. His probation ended 9/30/2015. Does that mean his warrant is gone once his probation ended? He took the children to PA and most likely will never return to NY again so he can't be arrested. Besides me calling the SSA and having his benefits suspended until his warrant is fixed, what else can I do? I have bi monthly visitation, but will i have to go to PA to visit them going forward? Am I to assume he doesn't have to return to NY ever? Thx
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

If he violated probation, then likely they will have issued a "bench warrant" (this is a warrant signed by a judge). The bench warrant will not expire...but will remain in place until he is arrested and returned.

Also, if he is violating the terms of the visitation order, you can go back to court and ask the court to remove custody from him.