Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I was recently provided by Medicare with a hospital bed in

Customer Question

I was recently provided by Medicare with a hospital bed for use in my apartment at Brookdale Lake Shore Drive, 2960 N Lake Shore Drive, #2006. Today, the administration of the Health and Wellness for Assisted Living, came into my apartment and removed the bedside rails from the bed. I never used the rails to do anything other than to hang the remote control and to hold onto while Assisted Living staff moved me into bed or out of bed and dressed or undressed me. I understand that ownership of these rails is illegal in the state of Illinois. What sort of implements are available to people like me (paralyzed from the waist down) to achieve those goals. The "halo" design recommended by the administration costs several hundred dollars per side of the bed, while the rails themselves cost about $100. What kind of purchase can you suggest that is not in the realm of hundreds of dollars or is paid for by Medicare? I am age 76 and sound of mind.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Typically speaking, Medicare will not pay for bed rails or halo safety rails. If you are enrolled in the medicaid waiver program, however, you may be able to get these instruments paid for through that program.

With that being said, I suggest two things, if you have not tried them already.

Call Medicaid and explain your situation. Their number is ***** Payment for these items is fluid and sometimes a running is in the pipe that will allow them to cover these devices - especially for a person in your situation that really needs this type of assistance.

The other method here is to call medical equipment supply entities in your area. They typically are in the loop as to what can be reimbursed through medicare and medicaid as well. Moreover, they will at times have slightly used equipment at tremendous discounts that they can provide. Howard Medical in your area is good. They sell new equipment and sometimes have access to used equipment too. Here is their site: http://www.howardmedical.com/index.html

They may be able to assist you with finding a payment option, including a way to get medicare reimbursement.

However, typically speaking, Medicare will not cover items like the halo safety ring, unfortunately.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes!

Just checking on you to see if you had any additional questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!