How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold an automobile to a personal friend Sum of $3,700.00.

Customer Question

I sold an automobile to a personal friend for the Sum of $3,700.00. The payments were to be $150.00 per month with the first payment to be paid on October 18, 2015. Not only has this first payment not been paid but I received two parking tickets from the City of Chicago. It appears that this person who lives in East Chicago, Indiana has been driving this automobile with my Illinois registration. Therefore, the parking tickets have accrued to me. I wish to nip the problem in its infancy, therefore, I wish to know my legal options, such as repossession or some other means to get myself out of this legal bind.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
In order to repossess the vehicle, you'd have to have something in writing that gives you a lien until the payments are made or a judgment. To get a judgment, you can file a lawsuit for the total amount of your agreement. You can also ask the judge to order the friend to reimburse you for the parking tickets, plus your filing fees. A judgment is also the way you'd be able to get the title put back in your name if you already signed the vehicle over to your friend.
Another option, if you'd prefer to avoid going to court, is to send your friend a letter (or email) giving him one last chance to pay you in full to avoid a lawsuit.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.