How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34741
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have parkinsons disease which limits my mobility; i have a

Customer Question

i have parkinsons disease which limits my mobility; i have a care giver to help me compensate. i want to continue to play golf ( i'm retired ) but my county golf course admin.says i need to pay a golf fee for my care giver even though he will be assisting me and will not be playing golf. this will cost me about another $ 60 -70 per round. what recourse do i have under the disability act?
blase sacus
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma. The american's with disability act (ADA) requires businesses to make "reasonable accommodations" to folks who have a disability. So the ADA will require the course to allow you to bring your caregiver.

That said, there is nothing in the ADA that would require the business to allow the caregiver to accompany "free of charge".

So they can charge the fee

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the ADA requires they give free access to your caregiver but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.