Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Back in june, i found out that my paypal account was used to

Customer Question

back in june, i found out that my paypal account was used to buy 40k dollars worth of bitcoin. I got my money back from paypal but now the merchants are after me. I contacted ic3 regarding the entire situation, but apparently the merchants reported ME to ic3 as well. The FBI showed up at my house a couple weeks ago and said they are following up on my ic3 report and need all of the information i have regarding the identity theft I was victim of. I am ok with that, however, i have read that you should never meet without an attorney... Please advise?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read and heard that one should never talk to FBI without a lawyer present. In this case, I filed a report to be investigated so I would only think they are following up with me. However, the merchants filed reports against me as well. So i am not sure whether or not they are following up in response to my report or investigating me in response to the merchants reports. They are asking me to come to their office and give them all the information I have regarding my case. Should I give them that information or wait and hire an attorney?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

My personal belief is that any time you may even possibly be a suspect in a criminal proceeding that you should have a lawyer with you. It can't hurt and if you actually are a suspect at all then it can only help. Plus, the lawyer can help you phrase things correctly to make it more likely the FBI catches whoever did it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.