How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What should I do? My financial aid didn't went through that

Customer Question

what should I do? My financial aid didn't went through that was last fall of 2014 so I told front school register to cancel my registration and he said ok. I didn't went to school that semester thinking my registration was cancelled. Until I receive a letter stating I owe the school $2538.70. I went to school and they told me to apply for Retroactive Resignation Application I've been waiting for their reply but I didn't got any. I receive a final notice for the amount I owed I went back to school again but they said to call the person who's in charge of the student's debt. I called the number no one picks up. I emailed and left voice messages no one answered back or replied to my emails. now I receive another mail my debt increased to $2969.24 from a Collection Agency. I really don't know what to do anymore. I couldn't afford to pay this amount. I didn't went to school knowing my financial aid didn't go through and my girlfriend is pregnant at that moment. now I have a baby to support I don't even have a decent job. please someone help me. what should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately you need to get a better resolution with the school (leaving a bunch of voice mails and emails that are not responded to is not going to help resolve the matter).

I would recommend following up with the school's administration in writing, and try summarizing your prior communications in as much detail as possible (approximate dates, number of communication attempts, etc.).

Most schools have a formal administrative appeals process, find out what your school's process is and how to use it (they should have a specific administrator or office that you can contact to initiate a written appeal, copy one or two administrators as well as the collection agency on your appeal).

Start keeping track of your communications in writing. Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.