How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7351
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in a situation, and it was a scam, a guy promised

Customer Question

my son is in a situation , and it was a scam, a guy promised him a job taking care of his mother , my son fell for it and cashed the check this guy sent. now his bank shut him down will not bank with him anymore, my son is scared to death, how can we fix this ,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Did the check simply bounce for insufficient funds, or was the check a forgery of some kind? Did your son refund money to the fellow who gave him the check? I will need more details, and can offer direct phone contact for later today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a check that was payment for a job my son was going to do for this guy, the guy sent him the check and told him to cash it and send it to other people plus my son got payment of 450 for the job of taking care of this so called guys mom. the check was for 1,950 , my son had no clue that this was a scam . he was just doing what this guy wanted him to do , knowing that he was promised a job taking care of his mom. he thought he was sincere, it turned out my son cashed the check made out to him, then sent money to other people that he was told to by his so called new boss. we have texts to prove it , should i just go pay the bank off and then go to the police, how do i get my son free of this going on his credit as bad. or is it to late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bank symply said that the check was not good and my son got closed down at the bank and cant bank there anymore, my son is scared, and we dont know what todo at this point so we are hoping you have answers
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

If the check is not good, then your son owes that money back to the bank. It is a civil matter, not criminal, as long as he had no knowledge of the fact that it was a bad check. He will have to make arrangements with the bank to repay the money As soon as possible. I hope it is not too much for him to handle. As soon as the money is paid back to the bank that should be the end of it. I wish him the best of luck, and thanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then after we pay the bank back then should we go to the police and report it because thats what we want to do, so this doesnt happen to anyone else.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

But might have an attorney send the man a demand to make the check good first. that is always a first step before a criminal charge can be filed. I hope this answer will result in a positive rating at this point. THanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do go through that process, I have to pay for a attorney, and how much does that cost, and if no cost , can you do this for us?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

No we are not permitted to perform legal services for our customers. I'm sure you can find a local attorney to write a statutory letter demanding payment of a dishonored check. The fee will probably be in the $100-$200 range.