Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In the state of Texas, who pays repairs and who pays repairs

Customer Question

In the state of Texas, who pays for major repairs and who pays for minor repairs when it comes to the life estate?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

During the life tenant’s lifetime, he/she typically assumes financial responsibility for the home, which would include paying the utilities, real estate taxes and homeowners insurance, mortgage liens and any necessary repairs and to keep up maintenance.

Nothing stops the remainderman from paying for the repairs him/herself, but contributing financially doesn’t change the ownership structure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If the life tenant refuses to make repairs, the remainderman could sue the life tenant for "legal waste" and actually attempt to terminate the tenancy.....if the failure to make repairs impacts the property.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you need anything further, please let me know. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!