How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago and got part of

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago and got part of my lung removed (non-smoker). I recovered but seem to have some cognitive impairment. I have a 26 year old son who recently had me committed for 72 hours for mental issues (which i thought was unnecessary).
The insurance company now is sending me a STandard Authorization Form with his name for approval that he have access to my medical records.
CAn you name any problems I might encounter if I give him access to my medical records? Is there anything I should be aware of? Is this a good idea to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The biggest issue with granting anyone access to your files is just that, access. If you trust your son, then such access is fine, but keep in mind that your medical records, if shared with your son, can be used by your son for your benefit or against it. You mentioned a 72 hour committment--if your son sees other issues put in place by your doctor, he may commit you again, or can file for guardianship and conservatorship so that he would have the ability to make decisions for you which unlike a power of attorney you would not be able to overturn. So if you trust your son, granting access is fine, but if you do not believe he has your best interest at heart, then access can be dangerous.


Dimitry, Esq.