Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I left the scene of an traffic accident, I was lost and got

Customer Question
I left the scene of...
I left the scene of an traffic accident, I was lost downtown and got confused , I didn't find the other driver. Their insurance company contacted me and they damage is getting handled through the vehicle owners insurance. He is concerned and so am I do i need to contact the police now about the accident? As far as I know there was just property damage
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
10/15/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Texas Transp. Code, Section 550.026 requires an immediate report of an accident if the vehicles involved are so damaged they cannot be driven safely or if someone is injured. If no one is hurt and the cars can be driven away from the scene, you do not have to contact the police. You are required to stop and exchange information with the other driver under Section 550.022, but you didn't have to file a police report. If you wound up driving away and the other driver did not report you, notifying the police typically would not benefit you.

The other driver notified the police and our insurance companies are working it out. So I do need to contact the police

Not unless they contact you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney