How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34996
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roommate was has a felony tampering with a witness charge

Customer Question

My roommate was has a felony tampering with a witness charge that was set aside but has lost his gun rights for 10 years. He's been without any legal issues or contact with law enforcement in the last 7 years and wonders if there is a way to get this right reinstated before the 10 years that was handed down by the judge. The charges were in Nebraska. We are wondering if there is a possibility of getting his rights back in the next year and if so, how to go about it. He's an avid trap shooter and hunter and would love to be able to get back into enjoying his hobby.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

Federal law prohibits a convicted felon from possession of a firearm. So in order for your roommate to be able to possess a weapon, he would need "restore" his rights.

Practically speaking the only way to accomplish this, at this point (after 10 years), would be with a pardon.

He can apply to the governor in the state in which he was convicted,for a pardon. If he is granted a pardon, that would remove the conviction and allow him to possess a firearm again.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.