How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7203
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son uses my address mail because he is in between houses

Customer Question

My son uses my address for his mail because he is in between houses right now and I live in subsidized housing and they are trying to say he can't do that... Is it illegal?? If u are homeless what are you supposed to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Basically they are accusing you of have an unauthorized occupant. Is that correct?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 years ago.

What you would need to do is to provide evidence that he is not an occupant to the housing authority/landlord. The methods to prove this would be a signed statement by him, providing a copy of his drivers license or state ID that shows an address other then the address you reside at. There are additional documents that you can use as evidence. This is the link If you can show that he is not an occupant you cannot be evicted. Please see section 21 at

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His ID does have my address on it though bc his old one expired last yr and he needed to get one for his job. He has 2 jobs and I'm trying to help him and his girlfriend and their baby find housing and now I might lose mine bc I babysit my grandson while they work
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 years ago.

He can write a statement saying he is not residing at your address as well as the other forms of proof I included in the link. See section 21. If he cannot furnish the required proof you may need to have him use a P.O. Box so you are not in jeopardy of eviction.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 years ago.

I understand that you a merely trying to help your son and not violate the terms of your lease. Thank you for the clarification of the situation. This link provides legal defenses to the unauthorized guest/occupant accusations Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may for me. This link provides information on legal services for housing issues at Thank you for using JA! If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me? We do not receive credit for our work if you don rate out service positively. Thank you for understanding