Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am being sued in Mississippi car accident that happened in

Customer Question

I am being sued in Mississippi for a car accident that happened in April. I did not hv insurance and know that the other party incurred financial loss but no physical loss or injury. I was contacted by council for the party who claimed if I signed an affidavit saying I was not insured the it would end the lawsuit. When I contacted the law office to ask if this was true I was told that he could not say because it was a conflict of interest. My question is. Would it be in my best interest to send the opposing council and affidavit saying I was not insured at the time?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney in Mississippi. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

If you were not insured, that takes all of the appeal away from the plaintiff's lawyer because that means there's not much chance of recovering - - or at least that there's no insurance money available.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

But, the attorney can determine this without you issuing an affidavit......in fact, the accident report should state the status of your insurance.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Also, the plaintiff may pursue the uninsured/underinsured insurance coverage of his/her own policy (which is $25,000 at a minimum).

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

If that happens, the plaintiff's insurance company may come after you, and you don't want to give them anything that could be used against you later. Thus, it likely wouldn't be the best thing to give this affidavit, and it really doesn't seem necessary.