Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is there a law against Transit Employees sharing login

Customer Question

Is there a law against Transit Employees sharing login credentials? For instance train operations using same log in for a particular line so they don't miss emails that were sent to an individual (emails are sent to the generic train line ID instead)
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Computer security is a matter left to the employer's internal policy. Every employer I have dealt with has a policy that login information is personal to the individual and it is not to be shared. This would be a matter of the employer's policy though and if the employer has a policy allowing this, it is not a violation. If the employer's policy prohibits it then it is grounds for job action, including termination, at the discretion of the employer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to know if there are any regulations or laws preventing this practice. FEMA and Dept of Homeland Security are also on my list of agencies I was going to check.

Thank you for your reply.

No, as I said in my previous answer, there are no laws prohibiting the employer from doing this or allowing this. The login to the computer servers for this type of information is solely based on the employer's policy as they have it written.