How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116706
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I m a member of the IBEW and we have an annuity, I have to

Customer Question

I m a member of the IBEW and we have an annuity, I have to be of work for a year before I get it , or 6 months if I have disability ....problem is I have issues with the contractor and the union if 6 months go by I cant file grievance or file charges against
the employer ... can they, the union , take my annuity or hold it if I sue them or the contractor..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that the annuity can only be paid when you meet the terms and conditions contained in the plan description. If you do not meet those terms and conditions, then they do not have to pay out on the annuity.

If you have an issue with the contractor you were working for, you can sue them for breach of your contract and seek damages, but that is completely different from your rights to the annuity. If you have issues against your contractor and union, those are separate and something you would have to sue the contractor and union over to get what you believe you are entitled to.