Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am a non-working spouse. I am concerned about our

Customer Question

I am a non-working spouse. I am concerned about our investments, but my wife ignores or will not act on my concerns. Do I have any rights to how our communal property is invested in marraige? I wish to avoid a fight over money with my wife, but as our investments are handled by a third party, I could remind them my wishes carry equal weight (if they do?) or, if I advise that party that my wife and I are not in agreement could I sight law protecting my role in financial matters instead of getting the, "She earned it, you have no say." response.
Thank You
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately, Texas state law does not delegate how the parties share and invest finances. The Court simply does not get involved in private financial matters unless there is a divorce or separation.

So there is no legal way to force the issue and the parties have to work it out themselves.

The third party money manager answers only to who is on the account. If both of you are, then the money manager should answer to either. If only her, then only to her.

If you advise the money manager that you and your wife are not in agreement, then the money manager would say "okay, but I will follow the directions of whosoever name is ***** ***** account."

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!