Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is a hunting dog, Queensland Heeler, just following their

Customer Question
instinct, or having vicious tendencies...
Is a hunting dog, Queensland Heeler, just following their instinct, or having vicious tendencies if they chase down a stray cat in the yard and possibly kill it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
10/12/2015
Lawyer: jadedangel57,
 replied 2 years ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs are prey driven especially dogs bred to hunt. If they are not raised with cats and other pets, they will view them as prey and chase them and potentially kill them. In addition, often they will inadvertently injure them without meaning to. One such way this might happen is if they pounce on them in play, they might break the neck or back of a much smaller animal. Like I mentioned, though, a cat would be seen as prey if a dog had never been socialized around them. Dogs are also prone to protect their own territory so if a stray animal was in their territory (yard) a dog would be inclined to chase it away.

It isn't a tendency to be vicious. Here is an article on predatory aggression.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/behavior-training/behavior-problems/predatory-aggression-in-dogs

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I was writing my reply, and it disappeared! I hope it was sent, for it was rather lengthy. I will try to duplicate it to finish forgive me if it is now redundant! Your answer is just as I thought, and have been trying to tell my Insurance Co. USAA, whom is trying to cancel my homeowners Insurance, for My service dogs purportedly did as I mentioned, four months ago, but nothing was said until I turned in a complaint about how the agent was handling a property loss claim! ! There were actually two service dogs involved, the Queensland Heeler and her buddy, a Chihuahua and Dachshund mix the greatest of buddy's and constant companions, whom groom each other, sleep, eat, and romp together! I would like to use yo and your response to try to dissuade the Insurance from discontinuing my policy for the excuse of their supposed vicious tendencies, if this is all right? Please send your credentials and commentary to; My address is; J. XXXXXXXXXXXX, If you would? Thanks, ***** *****
P.S. These Service dogs were brought up with young children and absolutely love all people! The neighbor children come over often and pet them through the fence and when I am outside they come into the front yard to visit with the dogs, and carry the Chihuahua around like a baby. Part of their Service dog training includes the ability to react positively with people under all conditions, barring their physical abuse to any degree much over accidentally being stepped/follen on and then only give vocal objections, beyond this I do not know what they would do. I suppose that, like myself, they'd have to take defensive actions. They are also totally tolerant of babies pulling on them and will just move off if it becomes painful! They are Bio. Sensitive Service dogs trained to warn me of pending, possibly, debilitating attacks of Migraine and/or PTSD, and will put themselves between me and any possible danger if I were to be out of it or unconscious, allowing only police, fire rescue, or medic, types near me The Queensland Heeler once kept a robber, the police were chasing, at bay in the corner of the yard, when he jumped the fence trying to get away from the police, until the police came to take the crook away, and never actually hurt the thief in any way! When the police came she just backed away and let them take the robber away! The Insurance Co. agent told me I'd either have to get rid of the dogs or they'd cancel me! I've slept with them in the car, in freezing weather when I couldn't find shelter for us all, I'd never get rid of these guardian Angles no matter what! In the past I've put my life at risk in order to protect my dogs of yesteryear and would certainly do so now! Thanks again.
Lawyer: jadedangel57,
 replied 2 years ago

I'm going to opt out of your question. I think what you need is a lawyer who can protect your rights. If your dogs have paperwork certifying them for therapy work be sure to supply your lawyer that information as well.

Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR and an attorney.

First of all, if these dogs are indeed service dogs, then you CANNOT BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST based on even the breed of the dog. The insurer would be discriminating against you if they were to cancel you. So you need to start by writing a letter to the insurer and include proof that they are service dogs and you require a service dog and inform them that under the Americans with Disabilities Act you cannot be discriminated against and if they are denying you coverage, they are discriminating against you on the basis that you have a service animal.

If they refuse, then your next step is filing a complaint to the US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and your state's commissioner of insurance for disability discrimination based on your service animal.

As I mentioned this is to get the insurance Co. to drop their ridiculous position that my service dogs are vicious just because they may or may not have chased down a cat in the yard. Unfortunately they seem to have the opinion that I am making up your response! They therefor need verification that I got this information from genuine experts via some credentials, or it just does not do me much good! Also if this escalates would you be willing to write them a letter, as an attorney,outlining their folly and the ramifications of persisting in it? if all my efforts do not elicit the desired response would you then be able, perhaps, to represent me in a law suit, or such?
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry, if you read the policy of this site, we are forbidden from representing anyone from this site, so we cannot represent you. Before every customer posts a question they are told and agree to those terms of service.
You would need a local attorney to represent you and write letters or sue in court I am afraid.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney