Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My wife and I have a lawyer and have just recieved a payoff

Customer Question
Hello, My wife and I...
Hello, My wife and I have a lawyer and have just recieved a payoff letter for a first mortgage on our home as well as the balance of a #13 to then payoff both the first,wipe out a second and be done with this lender. I am asking another opinion since our lawyer has had to put in so much time on this and has not billed us after the main payment.
1. Can the Plaintiffs lawyer backcharge my wife (she filed 13) for $32,500 in legal fees which the plaintiff states they incurred on this?
2. What are our rights as to what can be requested in proving up the amounts that the lender states are still owed? They are showing back interst of $25,000 and change while we have been making P and I payments each month for nearly 2.5 years!
I hope you you understand my outside request for answers since we really have a high regar for our lawyer and appreciate your time in the event you will answer.
Sincerely, Dan
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
10/8/2015
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

What are our rights as to what can be requested in proving up the amounts that the lender states are still owed?

I would like to assist with your question, but I have to know what specific information you are seeking now. You have two problems: 1) the, huge attorney fees; and 2) the application of your payments to P&I. I would need a great deal more information from you, as well as personal contact in order to evaluate your situation.

I dont wish to formally retain your firm right now since I thought I could get more of just an opinion for now especially on the lawyer fees. I imagine you will be putting in hours on this by the nature of your answer. I cannot blame you but I thought to see if there were basic laws in place for this kind of thing.

We are not a law firm. This is a legal information service only. You offered a certain sum for an acceptable answer and that is what I will try to deliver. I can also offer additional services in the form of a telephone consultation. None of out charges are close to regular legal hourly rates. I can tell you initially that the size of the attorney fees charged in what appears to be a mortgage foreclosure seem excessive to me as an attorney with more than 35 years of foreclosure experience. The balance due question is usually pure accounting. mistakes can be made, where payments are not properly credited. Someone must audit the lender's account statement. I hope that this is helpful. I can tell you much more if you wish to accept additional services.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney