Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a situation my 16 year old daughter, has been given

Customer Question

Hi I have a situation my 16 year old daughter , has been given me grief , especially on social media . I kept her in and took all devices away from her for her own savety . She worn me down . she left my home several times. as of thur day night she moved in with my Best Friend . can any thing happen to me because she moved out , i know she is safe and going to school . I cant take her right back I want her to what she left . I buy her evertthing cloathes new i[phones so she fits with the kids .
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Technically, you shouldn't be in any legal trouble because she's moved out to a friends house AS LONG AS the child is being taken care of and as long as the child is going to school. Because you are the legal guardian of the child, you are responsible for her - - even if she's not living under your roof. So, if she doesn't go to school, the truancy officer would be coming to you. Similarly, if she gets into any legal trouble, you would be the one to have to answer for your minor child.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

The only way you could avoid this type of liability is if you were to allow this friend to take over guardianship.....which would require a court petition to be appointed as her legal guardian.