LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a client who is a trucker. The are an Ohio company

Customer Question

I have a client who is a trucker . The are an Ohio company and the vehicles are registered in Ohio. One of their trucks was traveling through Michigan, and was struck by another vehicle. The other vehicle was ticketed. The Ohio trucker is a large company and they do not purchase physical damage on their trucks. They recently requested that the at fault driver to have their insurance company call them . The at fault driver said he is not libel to pay for the damages to the truck because Michigan is a no0 fault state. Is it true that the at fault driver has no liability to pay the other vehicle owner claimant? It looks like the claimant is illegible to sue in Michigan because the are domiciled in Ohio and the vehicle is registered in Ohio. There is sizable damage 100,000+ How can my client collect BOB LOVE ***@******.***
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The at fault driver is either mistaken or simply BS'ing you in an attempt to avoid the claim. Yes, Michigan is a no fault state, but no fault in MI means that your own insurance pays for your medical bills, wage loss and, the damage to other person's property that the driver hits with their car. Here is a link to a description of no-fault insurance in MI: http://michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip202_25083_7.pdf

While there will be a limit on the property damage covered under the no-fault policy, your client will be able to get up to the policy limit on the Property Protection Insurance (PPI) portion of the at fault driver's policy. If the driver will not provide the name and policy number of their policy, it should be available on the traffic collision report.

Finally, the owner of the rig that sustained damage may certainly sue in MI if need be---despite the fact that they may be domiciled in Ohio and the rig is registered in Ohio.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug