How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26857
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Being harassed by local law enforcement. I have been under

Customer Question

Being harassed by local law enforcement. I have been under survalince by law enforcement for 5 yrs. which is causing me problems. Keeping a place to live is hard because of the way they are operating. They harass me and the landlord. therefor i can not find stable housing....
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


What is it that law enforcement is doing to you that has required your to move 4 times this year? What did the police do when you reported the harassment to the captain? What evidence of the harassment did you show to him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My landlords do not want me living there because of what the police tell them. The landlords run back ground checks on me at first. I have no type of arrset record. Not even a traffic ticket...The police caption said they have the right to have me under survalence. end of story. The landlords want me out because they are being pressured by law enforce. It is my understanding that i can get an civil attorney to go to court and stop the survalence. many time they rent an apt. near me (i am in unit 6 they rent unit 9). AN whatever they tell landlords like ( i am a drug dealer, child malester, I sold drugs to a under age teen who ODed. All of which are lies. The cops have come into my apt. many times late at nite while i am sleeping and tell they will kill me.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can, but you will have difficulty finding a civil attorney who will be willing to represent you on a matter like this unless you can show concrete evidence that the police are entering your apartment when you're asleep and threatening your safety. If you've got hard evidence of that -- videos from a home surveillance camera, for example, even from some inexpensive nanny cam -- you would not only be able to stop the surveillance but you'd have a civil rights suit against the police as well. You could also file a Color of Law abuse claim with the FBI, because the Federal government has the power to investigate state agencies when they are corrupt and violating the civil rights of people within the state.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i tried that !!!!! they steal what ever evidence i get on them. Putting it in a saftey depoit box at bank. An it was stolen....i still have finger print evidence...Three days ago they came in where i am living an stole my medication....The last place i lived alone they put poison in my food items,LIST ( toothpase, salt, all condments, all spices, put antifreeze in dish washing liquid and laundry soap, vitamins.I have plenty of that kind of evidence. Called poison controll out, they sent out law enforcement.They would not make out a report although they took some of the poisoned items. Without a report i just lost my evidence. What i do not understand why can i not go to court an have this stopped....I know that all my landlords signed a contract with the police. They can not say any thing about this survalence they have on me. It would seem to me those contracts would show the abuse that law enforce is using on me....I am also thinking that a discrimination law suit against my landlords might be in order.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have success with that. The difficulty is that without evidence you won't be able to meet your burden of proof, as I'm sure that you must realize that your allegations are extreme and not typical. Police have immunity when operating in their official capacity, which makes it even more difficult to find lawyers willing to go head to head against them, even under the best of circumstances. If you have no success trying to litigate, you have to keep trying to collect evidence. In the meantime, you can try to involve the media. Police abuse is always newsworthy.

Landlords, of course, have no immunity from prosecution, and if yours are listening to unsubstantiated rumors and using them to harass you or force you to vacate the premises, that is a different story. You may find much less difficulty getting someone to represent you on a housing court issue.

I am not a landlord tenant lawyer, but you may want to post a brand new question in our landlord tenant category and explore the issues of a suit against your landlord.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am begining to to realize that law enforcement has a licence to kill people by poison. Theif of their medications..I think all of this is a jock......You do know that these practices are illlegal...And you could be next. You need to experance this for yuor self..
i did check with the bank law enforcement did steel info. out of my safety deposit box...But the never shuts off security cam in that area....Now that is evidance wright. I am not happy with your web help!!!!!
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

I do know such practices are illegal, but that's not what we are talking about in this question. You're asking how to get legal assistance for this, and my answer remains that without evidence, it's very difficult. If your bank has a security camera in the safe deposit area and you are in litigation, you could get a judge to sign a subpoena for that video. You are correct that a video would be evidence.

As you're not happy with my assistance, I will opt out of your question and let some other lawyer take this on if he or she has other suggestions for you. Or, you can contact customer service for a refund of your deposit.