Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My girl friend (we have 2 kids) left me but before she went

Customer Question
she broke in to a...
my girl friend (we have 2 kids) left me but before she went she broke in to a locked room and took aprox $18,000 in guns. she gave them to her family friend for a loan .(so she said)
can i take her to court and charge her friend for knowingly receiving stolen fire arms? he loaned $6000 against them
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2015
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Did you report the theft to the police?

You can have her charged with theft and the other person with receiving stolen goods. But you need to have a police report. Was there any insurance on your firearms?

no police report we had a mutual friend who was a Anch detective , he's advised me to hold off she would come around. she didn't . its been a few years and she keeps promising but I'm done.
also insurance said no good cause she lived with me

How long? You only have a certain amount of time to prosecute a theft.

Or to file any type of civil lawsuit.

Depending on how long ago, you may not have any options.

What state was this, please.

Also please note

I do not participate in the phone call offers made by this site. They are automatically generated and do not come from me. However, we can continue here. Participating in phone calls can be construed as a client attorney relationship and that is not the case here. I am only providing you information and guidance. Thank you

Im in Alaska Anchorage. i hear what your saying but if its a firearm it remains stolen . also does the clock continue if its a daily request from me to her to return them?

Thank you.

I suggest you consider filing the police report immediately. Do not wait any longer. It will then be up to the District Attorney to prosecute or not depending on the statute of limitations.

As Alaska does not require the reporting of lost or stolen firearms, the statute of limitations on the prosecution is going to depend on the value.

They are aprox 12 weapons and value $15,000

Thank you. And I apologize for the delay. I had to take a phone call.

Let me check on that for you.

The criminal statute of limitations is 5 years to have charges brought. I suggest you could also bring a civil lawsuit and try to recoup your money that way. However, the small claims cap is $10,000 in Alaska and so that would mean you would need to file in the next level circuit or superior court.

Small claims you can do on your own relatively easy with forms from the clerk of the court. If you go for the entire $12,000 and need to file in Circuit or Superior Court, then you would need to draft the complaint and I suggest you would want to consider consultation with a local attorney to do that. The SOL on a civil suit would be 6 years.

Again, I apologize for the delay in the response and thank you for your patience.

Sam, Attorney at Law