How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33750
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i get a divorce in pa. husband went to colorado 3

Customer Question

how do i get a divorce in pa.
husband went to colorado 3 years ago.
he will not communicate with me.
how do i get out of this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

If you are living in PA then you can file for divorce in PA. You would file there and then have him served with the papers in CO. He can then file an answer or default.

If he files an answer then you and he can work out an agreement or else the judge is likely to send you to mediation there in PA which means he will have to travel back for it. If no agreement is reached you set the matter for a final hearing and have the trial over division of the property (if there is property) and then the judge will sign off on the final order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know where to find him.
How can I serve papers?
He will not come back to Pa.
It seem as though this is hopeless.
I just want this situation to end.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You can hire a private investigator to find him. It's usually pretty easy in this age to locate someone if you have the right contacts and you then send the papers to a process server in the area where he is located. If you can't find him you can also ask the court for substituted service but that's a little complicated so you may want to hire a lawyer if you can't find him right away.

If you hire a lawyer to handle it all they won't have any problems with this stuff, it happens every day in the practice.