Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am acting as my own attorney and have filed a

Customer Question

I am acting as my own attorney and have filed a discrimination case against my former employer, a school district. I served their attorney via certified mail by mistake, instead of serving them directly. I recieved notice in the mail today that their attorney has filed a motion to dismiss the case because I sent it to him instead of the school district board office.. Am I correct that I can simply serve the correct party now? What do I need to file to state that I have made the corrections? How do I best respond to the motion he filed to dismiss. Although I am confident that the judge wouldnt dismiss my case because of my error, being as I am representing myself, I would rather just serve them correctly and file corrections to dismiss the dismissal.. Please help! I cannot afford an attorney.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Here you go and serve the suit again properly.If you can do this the sheriff will file the return in the court's file.You should respond to the motion to dismiss claiming you have since paid for proper service, attach receipt for service of process from the clerk.Court may table motion here to see if you get them served.

If it gets dismissed here that should be without prejudice you can always refile and reserve.You hope a response with receipt here prevents a dismissal.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

This may help a ample response you will have to modify it.

http://cjonline.com/indepth/renaissance/courtdocuments/plaintiffresponse.pdf

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always sincerely appreciated.