Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can my employer require that I leave the keys to my car as

Customer Question

Can my employer require that I leave the keys to my car as collateral while I am using a device to make tags and order for the store?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under Texas law, employment is deemed at will. This means the employer is free to set their own rules about employment as long as they are not doing this to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. It is not illegal for the employer to insist the employee leave car keys with the employer when using the device.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been told that it violates federal law because in order to do our job me must use these scan guns, & if we do not surrender our personal property we can not use them. This also violates a persons right to privacy by giving any random person access to their car.

Thank you for your reply.

Whoever told you it violates federal law was making it up and I challenge them to point to the law, there is none. People many times say "Its against the law" because they think it should be, but most times it is not. You are not giving a "random person access to your car" you are giving your employer your keys to hold to make sure you return their property. Anyone who told you this is against any federal law is making it up.