How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118321
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is diagnosed bipolar and also a phycologist. she now

Customer Question

my wife is diagnosed bipolar and also a phycologist. she now denies she is bipolar and also has shared mine and my daughters private medical records with her mother is that legal and if not should i use that as leverage to get her help? she has been out of the house for several months and refuses to comunicate with me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think the reason she always leaves is her attempt a self therapy, which i find very hypocritical. she deals with people who are bipolar every day who see her so they can maintain a normal family life while she runs from her family so she doesnt have to seek treatment
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your wife has violated HIPAA, since she had no right to release your medical records without your signature on a HIPAA release. The only way to use it as leverage is you would have to report it to the US Department of Health and Human Services as they are the only agency that has investigatory authority over HIPAA violations. The only other thing you could do is report it to her state licensing board and report her self treatment and that she needs help and they can suspend her license until she gets seen and treated.

Those are your options available to you in this case.